Follow my 5 tips to distance yourself from the negativity that is threatening to overwhelm our lives.
Social distancing is the headline of the moment. We are all concerned about our health and the health of our loved ones our friends and family . We are stressing about our jobs/career plans. But is this also an opportunity? Remember the work – life balance discussion? not so important as it once was. Or is it?
It is not too long ago that we were all talking about how to spend quality time with our kids, how to be more mindful and in the moment. In fact the biggest problem was how to get those elusive moments to be mindful. Well now we have the time isn’t this a wonderful opportunity to reflect on how we were living our lives and whether it isn’t time for a rethink.
Currently we have no control over what is happening in the world but remember that this to will pass. We will get through this, but what will we learn from the experience.
Follow my tips to be sure you concentrate on the positive and adapt to the rest.
- Practice Gratitude – how does this work? it’s spring time there is always something to be grateful for, a smile from your son or daughter, the birds singing outside the window, our health is a big one at the moment, having love in our lives, all of these and a million other things still exist to be grateful for. Remind yourself of them on a daily basis.
- Review how you have been living your lives – we are so busy- our schedules are so full with events and engagements. Not only the adults but our children have after school clubs 4 days a week and often at the weekends as well. Is this all necessary? Now that you don’t have to do this anymore, how will you decide to live your life after Covid-19?
- Look at what is happening in our immediate communities, this is a wonderful time to connect with our neighbours. There are so many examples of people volunteering to help their elderly neighbours and people who have been affected by the virus. These people who possibly having lost jobs or clients due to the virus are stepping up to help their community. Here is the greatest opportunity to get involved, to help and who knows what kind of friendships may result.
- Cleaner water and air, a few days ago the canal water in Venice was reported to be running clear with visible fish living there. Because of the efforts of the Italian government to stall the spread of the virus there is no traffic on the canals. The virus has in part contributed to a noticeable drop in pollution and the emission of greenhouse gasses.
- A return to humility – This virus has if nothing else reminded us that we actually have no control over anything and any control we thought we had was an illusion. Many of us become anxious when things don’t go to plan, maybe it is time for us to realise that we are not all powerful and more often than not, it’s not the end of the world if we don’t get everything right – on time- everytime….
The Covid-19 crisis has undoubtedly shaken the world and how we live in it. These five points show us that it is still possible to find some positives. If we consciously try to find the positive and seize these opportunities to alter how we live and inhabit this planet, who knows what good may come from such a catastrophe.
OrlaCahill Transformational Coach.
Career Coach, Confidence Coach, Life Coach, Helping women return to work, helping career changers, helping women in the workplace.